Thursday 3 October 2013

One week to go!

So in one weeks time you will be able to come and see me at Knitting and Stitching Show Alexandra Palace.  The show runs from 10th October to 13th October and is a great place to see news ideas and visit old favourites. Alongside the sellers there are exhibitions from individuals and groups which provide even more inspiration.  
I am really looking forward to seeing Mandy Patullo who works with secondhand fabrics collaging them with other materials to make really poignant art pieces. I will enjoy talking to her about all things second hand or pre-loved.
The second exhibition that interests me is Sewing for Survival: Arctic Stitchery which will show examples of Inuit stitching from Canada.  I like the title because I expect that along with making garments and home-wares to keep warm and survive that the stitching also forms a community which is as important to survival as warmth.
Sticking with the Canadian Arctic and moving to the Australian outback Dorothy Caldwells Exhibition In Place looks like a great way to travel the globe via the medium of texture and print.  I like the size of the work and think it will have a great impact on the viewer.
Finally the queens of texture and colour will be exhibiting again. Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn always inspire I like how a collaboration has lasted over time, their exhibition this year takes a more personal theme and involves looking closely and then at the whole be sure to check out Rhythms and Counter Rhythms when you visit.

There are many other exhibitions and of course the stands and the classes, so if you have time after all that please pop by and see me in the Textile Gallery TGC5!

No comments:

Post a Comment